I just received notice of this contest today -- but it's a good 'un, (winner gets a book contract!) so if you've got something in your notebook that might work...send it in!
invites writers to participate in the
2008 ANNUAL CANADIAN AID
LITERARY AWARD CONTEST
The 2008 Canadian Aid Literary Award Contest winning author will receive a
TRADE BOOK PUBLISHING CONTRACT with the contest sponsor BookLand Press for publishing of the winning manuscript.
- Anthony Dalton, National Co-Vice-President of the Canadian Authors Association
- Deb Loughead, President of the Canadian Society of Children's Authors, Illustrators, and Performers
- Anne Millyard, Co-Founder of Annick Press
- Donna Allard, President of the Canadian Poetry Association
- Dr. Jasmine D’Costa, President of the Writers and Editors Network
- Bianca Lakoseljac, President of Toronto Branch of the Canadian Authors Association
- Robert Morgan, Publisher of Bookland Press
- Fiction, Creative Non-Fiction, Poetry and Children’s Books;
- Manuscript length - 50 pages minimum
(with the exception of children's books, which must contain at least 25 pages);
- Not previously published as a printed book;
- The judges, staff and owners of BookLand Press Inc. and the directors, board members, staff and volunteers of Canadian Aid Charity may not enter the contest.
- The Canadian Aid Literary Award and Publishing Contract are given to the manuscript(s) chosen by the panel of independent judges. Entries are judged anonymously on the basis of the author's use of language, originality of subject and writing style;
- Manuscripts should be submitted on a CD (in Microsoft Word) OR printed on 8.5" x 11" paper, double- spaced and numbered;
- Blind judging requires that the author's name, address, acknowledgements and manuscript dedications do not appear anywhere in the body of the manuscript;
- Include author’s name, address, e-mail, phone number, manuscript title and a brief bio on a separate sheet of paper;
- Manuscripts will be returned if accompanied by a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope with sufficient return postage. Judging comments are not provided to the contestants;
- Contest entry fee is $45 per manuscript. Multiple entries are allowed. The $45 entry fee must accompany each entry. Include a cheque or money order made payable to Canadian Aid Charity;
- Contest entry fee is tax-deductible as a charitable donation. Official tax-deductible charitable receipts will be issued by Canadian Aid Charity (Revenue Canada charitable registration No. 822819074 RR0001);
ENTRY DEADLINE: Postmarked by September 15, 2008
SEND ENTRIES TO:
Canadian Aid Charity
Attn. Literary Award Contest
5650 Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario M2M 4G3
Acknowledgement of receipt will be sent to those who provide a valid e-mail address or a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope. Award winner and finalists (short list and long list) will be announced by December 15, 2008. Results will be posted online at www.canadianaid.org and www.canadianaid.com. Winning author(s) will be notified by phone, post and/or email.
For information about Canadian Aid Charity please visit www.canadianaid.org (for high-speed internet access) or www.canadianaid.com (for dial-up internet access). For information about BookLand Press please visit www.booklandpress.com.
All funds raised during the 2008 Canadian Aid Literary Award contest will go to
Canadian Aid Charity’s HELP-A-CHILD-TO-SEE project to provide reading equipment
for visually impaired children from disadvantaged families.
PREVIOUS CANADIAN AID LITERARY AWARD CONTEST WINNERS
- 2006 Contest: Marianne Paul for her novel "Tending Memory" (www.mariannepaul.com)
- 2007 Contest: Michael Fraser for his poetry collection "The Serenity of Stone"
(will be published by BookLand Press in July 2008, ISBN 978-0-9783793-4-6).
For questions regarding the contest please contact Canadian Aid Charity at
email@example.com or (416) 607-6083, ext. 702.
also blogging at SiWC