Thursday, February 28, 2008

Van Tech Shout Out

Tonight I'm sending out a big thank you to Vancouver Tech Secondary School for hosting my visit there yesterday. I got to speak with around 60 Grade 8's, and a better audience I could not have asked for. This is the second time I've had a chance to talk to a group at Van Tech for Literacy Week, and special thanks go out to librarian Margaret O'Brien for her (somewhat hoarse, but nonetheless warm) welcome. Best wishes to Margaret and n for a speedy recovery from laryngitis!
The school is home to around 1700 students and is currently undergoing a seismic upgrade. Last year the library was displaced to a tiny, dark cave. But Margaret and her crew are back in the large space again, with all the stacks safely strutted into place, and I had a fine time regaling the group with the mystery and mayhem of the 14th century.
Tomorrow I am off to St. George's School in Vancouver -- a busy week for presentations.
And finally, in a sad note for the DogBlog -- a friend of mine lost her beloved dachshund Gus this week, to kidney failure. Gus was a digger and
a snuffler and as well-loved a family member as any canine could hope to be. So this picture of a joyful Silas is for Diana and Sam and the rest of their family, in memory of their beloved Gus.
~kc


No comments: