Friday, September 07, 2007

Attention Y/A Writers

HEY!
I just read in Nephele Tempest's (Knight Agency) blog that she is currently accepting y/a queries straight into her blog -- bypassing the usual Knight Agency protocol! This looks like a limited-time offer, but if you nip over there now, you can read the details.


Nephele Tempest's (who will also be one of our honoured guests at the Surrey International Writers' Conference this year) blog can be found here:



And speaking of the conference, here's another look at a couple of our featured authors -- in this case, poets, both.


The lovely and talented Bernice Lever comes to the conference as both a presenter and a judge of our SiWC poetry competition. Bernice has been a poet and author for most of her life, and in between raising her family she's also been an editor and a teacher. She has read and performed her poetry on five continents, but these days spends her time on Bowen Island, teaching, editing and continuing to write. I've known Bernice since right around the time she planted herself on Bowen, and she is, without a doubt, the most wonderful mentor for writers of anyone I know. She's been a member of the Canadian Authors Association for 30 years and is currently their grievence chair. Bernice will also be doing Blue Pencil at the conference, and this is one lady who gives some seriously good advice, so my suggestion is regardless of genre, line up quick for an appointment. Her expertise is priceless.


Bernice has just launched a new book of poetry 'NEVER A STRAIGHT LINE' with Black Moss Press. Her website is http://www.colourofwords.com/


Bernice will be sharing the stage of one of her workshops with fellow poet George McWhirter.

Vancouver's first Poet Laureate, George McWhirter, came to Canada from Belfast. He has written eight books of poetry, edited and translated countless more and has won awards for his teaching an mentoring of students throughout his career.

For more on the career and interests of this remarkable poet, check out his website at www3.telus.net/GeorgeMcWhirter
I'm looking forward to hearing what both these experts of their craft have to say.

By the bye, I checked out Christianne's Hayward's new venue last night, as promised. The Lyceum for Literature and Art is a BEAUTIFUL facility at the elegant end of 8th Avenue in Vancouver. When I got there it was packed to the gills with glittering local literati, great food and a bunch of very excited kids. This is a huge addition to the local literary scene, especially for young people. We'll be hearing more from Christianne -- no doubt at all.
Now -- I think I might just take a few minutes to work on my book. A friend of mine told me that I was cursing myself when I called the thing DEADLINE.
He was right.
~kc

2 comments:

helgor said...

Thanks for the heads up. I passed on the agent blog link to a few kidcritters writing in that genre.

:-)

kc dyer said...

My pleasure!

~kc