Friday, November 23, 2007

Day Seven -- Lindsay at Last


Spent my day in and around the environs of Lindsay, Ontario, having arrived here last night by bus.
I left the big boxes of my books at my new hotel in Toronto to avoid schlepping them all the way up here on the bus, but when I reached the bus station, I realized I had been so efficient with my packing that I didn't have a single copy to read to the group. I dashed off to the World's Biggest Bookstore (only a block away) and bought a copy of Ms. Z so I would have something to read.
Lindsay is now a part of the City of Kawartha Lakes -- a decision six years old and yet still controversial to those who live here. My contact here is Diane Lansdell, Children's librarian at the Lindsay Public Library. A big thank you to her for ensuring I was well fed and carefully delivered to my various destinations.
I was scheduled to do two library events, which turned out to include a number of groups of local kids, and the day was great fun. I spoke to kids from the school in Lindsay, and then a group of 150 or so kids from Scott young Public School in Omemee. (Scott Young was Neil Young's father -- both were from here and Scott was apparently a very respected newspaper journalist.) The kids were very patient as we took pictures and shot video for the local media.
They were a GREAT audience, very engaged in the stories. It looks like at least one of the classes will be using one of my books for a novel study this year.

This is a very cool little town -- I am typing these words on a computer that sits under a map of Lindsay... dated 1875. It looks like a thriving metropolis, even then. I got a picture of the moon rising over snowy downtown Lindsay that I will try to post as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for inviting me!

Much writing and paperwork over the next few days, and after a side trip to Montreal, the wending homewards will commence.
~kc

No comments: